Application Deadlines for Autumn 2022
International Applicants: Nov. 30, 2021 (11:59pm EST)
Domestic Applicants: Dec. 31, 2021 (11:59pm EST)
All application materials must be submitted by the dates/times listed above. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY AND ALLOW AMPLE TIME FOR PROCESSING OF YOUR APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION OF REQUIRED MATERIALS. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Two Step Application Process:
Applying for the Department of Art MFA program requires two steps. Both steps must be completed by the application deadline listed above in order to be considered for admission to our program.
1. Application for Graduate Admission to The Ohio State University
2. SlideRoom Application: a supplemental application for the Department of Art.
These steps have to be completed in order. Step 2 can begin only after you complete Step 1 and have paid your application fee. You will receive an email with access to the SlideRoom application approximately two business days after Graduate Admissions notifies you via email that your application has been processed.
Please note: Allow up to 7 business days for Graduate and Professional Admissions to process your application. Applications are not processed on weekends or holidays. SlideRoom links will not be sent on weekends or holidays.
2021 University holidays:
Veteran's Day - Nov. 11
Thanksgiving Break - Nov. 25-26
Christmas Break - Dec. 24-25
New Year's - Dec. 31
Step 1 of 2:
Apply to The Ohio State University Graduate School through the Graduate Admissions online application process.
The application to Ohio State requires completion of an online application form, uploading of required documents, and payment of application fees. All materials are to be submitted electronically.
You will be asked to upload the following documents:
- Transcripts Please note: all official transcripts from any university attended must be received by OSU by Dec. 31, 2021 in order for you to be considered for fellowship funding. Failure to provide official transcripts for all institutions of higher learning you have attended will delay the application process and make you ineligible for fellowship funding. Graduate and Professional Admissions will notify you if they find evidence of non reporting of college coursework.
- Proof of English proficiency if you are applying as an international student.
Do not use the letter of reference forms that are provided on the Graduate Admissions web site, as letters of reference must be submitted via the Art Department’s online application system, SlideRoom (Step 2)
If you have questions about Step 1 of the application process, please contact Graduate and Professional Admissions
Step 2 of 2:
Complete supplemental application for the Department of Art via SlideRoom.
ALL SlideRoom application materials must be submitted by December 31, 2021 (11:59pm EST). This SlideRoom/Step 2 deadline applies for both International and Domestic applicants. International applicants must complete Step 1 by the university's International Graduate Application deadline of Nov. 30.
Approximately two business days after your online application has been processed with Graduate Admissions, you will be notified via email of the URL and login process for the Department of Art's online application system SlideRoom. Your portfolio, statement of intent, CV or resume, transcripts, and letters of recommendation must be submitted using SlideRoom.
The Department of Art online application system will require the following information:
- Portfolio (details below)
- Statement of Intent (details below)
- Full Curriculum Vitæ (CV) or Résumé including recent academic/professional experience, honors, awards, and other accomplishments. Please be thorough and comprehensive. Upload a PDF format of the document to Slideroom.
- Three online references. You will submit the email contact information for three individuals in SlideRoom. Recommenders will then be prompted to submit their letters. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow up with all recommenders to upload their letters by Dec. 31, 2021.
- Scanned copy of transcripts from all universities and colleges attended. Upload a scanned copy of each official or unofficial transcript to the online application. (Transcripts you submit for the OSU application in Step 1 must be official. The SlideRoom transcripts in this step can be official or unofficial.)
- Pay SlideRoom Application fee of $10 US.
ALL SlideRoom application materials must be submitted by December 31, 2021 (11:59pm EST)
Portfolio Requirement in SlideRoom
All applicants are required to upload a digital portfolio of art projects. Submit no more than 20 examples of previously completed works that demonstrate your preparation for advanced study in art; include the title and a brief description of each piece submitted. You may describe the research and art process that informed your work when appropriate. Accepted media are images, video, audio, PDF, 3D models, and embedded media.
If you plan to submit video work, please note videos may be the final work or they may be documentation of process or installations. Do not upload high-resolution (HD) videos. Use compression such as mp4 so that uploads take less time and size.
Statement of Intent in SlideRoom
In less than 4500 characters (approximately one and one half pages) your written statement should address each of the following:
- What best describes the development of your current artistic practice?
- Why have you decided to apply to the MFA program in the Department of Art at OSU?
- What are your professional goals as an artist?
Upload a PDF format of the document to SlideRoom.
If you have any questions about the Department of Art MFA SlideRoom application process, please send an email to: Academic Program Coordinator, Sarah Wendel at firstname.lastname@example.org